Thursday, May 6, 2010

INTERViEW!!!

For my assignment, I decided to interview Mrs. Marilyn Eddins. Mrs. Eddins is one of the health teachers at Hewitt Trussville High School. She was kind enough to answer my interview questions, and voice her own opinion. The questions I provided for her were topics that I used in my small print sources. Topics such as: fast food effects on children, adult disadvantages, cognitive effects, and what she recommends to those who are "addicted" to fast food. While she agrees fast foods are convenient and tasty, she also recognizes the health hazards. According to her and everyone else, fast food is not very nutritious. My first question was her thoughts on how eating fast food effects family time. When she compared lifestyles from her youth she said that "it made her sad because she can remember the good days when families ate breakfast and dinner together everyday". She believes obesity is a national epidemic, and fast food portion sizes are a problem. She went on to say how fast food is cooked with saturated oils, making the food higher in fat and cholesterol. Just like most of my research, she agreed that weight gain contributes to higher rates of heart disease. She also believes bad nutrition for children and adults have a negative correlation with learning and memory. She thinks people's moods are negatively effected as well. I wanted to know her opinion on the debate that healthy foods are more expensive than fast foods, which gives everyone a reason to buy fast food more often. She did not agree that healthy foods are more expensive. She made her point by saying, "healthy food is cooked at home and there's usually leftovers for other meals. If the pantry is filled with healthy options, many meals can be prepared without additional supplies. People just need to plan". Her advice to those who can't get away from fast food is that people should keep a food and exercise log. They should be aware of what their eating, and should be encouraged to set short term goals before trying to conquer a long term goal and failing.

In response, I believe Mrs. Eddins was a great person to interview. She knew what she was talking about, and was very descriptive with her answers. I love how eager she was to voice her opinion about fast food. I'm also very thankful she took time to discuss these questions with me. I could definitely see the passion she has for eating healthy. She did admit she eats fast food for breakfast twice a week! In my opinon, that's just enough. Overall, what Mrs. Eddins had to say about the science of fast food lined perfectly with my research in most of my blogs. Mrs. Eddins is determined to keep health before satisfaction. Her and I both would rather eat a turkey sandwich with some fruit and granola, rather than a greasy fat hamburger with french fries on the side! I would rather keep my body healthy then to risk heart disease or other health problems that are attached with bad eating habits .

Eddins, Marilyn. Personal INTERVIEW. 6 May 2010.

2 comments: